Sunday, August 25, 2013

Made it!

First, I am happy to report that I've officially met my fundraising goal! THANK YOU! I'm incredibly grateful for all of the support I've been given, and I couldn't have made it here without you.

Second, I've made it to Hong Kong! My journey began around 4:30 AM Tuesday morning, and I arrived here Wednesday night around 10:30 local time. Suffice to say, it was an incredibly long 30 hours. Since then, it's been a bit of a whirlwind!

On Thursday, Grace, who served as the YASCer at the MfMW this past year, was kind enough to show me around my new neighborhood. Hong Kong is much steeper and much more winding than I thought it would be! We stopped by the Mission for Migrant Workers office at St. John's Cathedral, one of the shelters in Kowloon, a grocery store, and around the subway station.

On Friday, I had my first meeting at MfMW. I'm thrilled to be working for this organization, and I greatly enjoyed meeting the people with whom I will be working. I officially start work on Tuesday!

Today, Grace and I attended St. John's Cathedral, and afterwards she took me to the areas where migrant workers typically hang out on their days off.  Later on in the year I will be spending most of my Sundays working in these communities, but today I had more of a quick tour. Afterwards, we stopped by Ikea for a few necessities (a coffeepot).

Unfortunately, I haven't really taken any pictures of Hong Kong yet, but I promise to do so once I get a bit more settled in. In the meanwhile, I'm looking forward to starting work, exploring more of the city, and learning more about what this year has in store for me. It's going to be great! 

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for Hong Kong! :) Say hi to Grace for me -- I'm a last year YASC-er myself, with another 5 months to go in Sao Paulo, Brazil. I'm so stoked for you guys and this upcoming year -- go Team Hong Kong! I hope you keep settling in well, and I look forward to following your blog :)

    take care and all the best!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email